Thursday 1 November 2007

Cheap Shoes

One of the few things my late father ever instilled in me was the impression that the mark of a man is not just his clothes but additionally, his footwear and chronograph (sounds like a Traffic album title!). I would add to that music and literature but then I’m often perverse. What sent me down this route was sitting at Southampton airport in a vegetative state awaiting emplaning ( a nice adjective that if one that is somewhat slow paced when traveling FlyBE!!).

Anyway, back to the story and enough of the Ronnie Corbettesque diversions, I was struck by the preponderance of snazzily suited business men with incongruous footwear. Now, I’m not Gok Wang and I’m not in the fashion Gestapo, but for the love of decency is it really that hard to purchase a sensible, practical pair of shoes/boots that don’t contravene the UN Charter on Human Rights (specifically offensive articles of footwear leading to permanent visual impairment). Barratts remainder bin must get a lot of trade – nasty plastic faux Oxfords and Cambridges – or maybe that’s ‘in’ this season? Count me out though.

No comments: